Title: Kennel Cleaner
Hours: Part time, involving weekends and holidays 30 hours
Reports to: Kennel Supervisor
Objective: To maintain a clean and healthy environment for dogs, including all inside and outside dog holding and exercise areas.
- Open runs.
- Start laundry,
- Walk every dog in each kennel area daily, in the morning and afternoon. Pups under the age of 4 months, or any age dog/puppy that is not vaccinated with two DHLPP and one Rabies vaccine are not permitted to be walked or taken outside.
- Use only disinfecting solution provided. Bleach is not always the solution used. Puppy room cleaners must wear latex gloves, provided and must change gloves between each cage.
- Remove all soiled linens and toys daily, shaking excess debris off prior to placing in laundry basket. Take soiled linens to laundry area after cleaning, daily.
- Empty and refill water buckets, hang Kuranda beds, empty food bowls, dumping all left over food and treats in garbage receptacle.
- Scoop feces and sweep debris from kennel floor.
- Soak all food and water bowls, daily, for 15 minutes or more (not all day or overnight). Scrub all food and water bowls. Rinse and dry. Put extra dishes in storage areas provided.
- Spray disinfectant on walls, door, floor, bed and fence of each kennel.
- Scrub walls, door, floor, bed and fence of each kennel. Rinse by spraying with water. Scrub the wire on the doors, hinges.
- Move portable items to sweep and spray entire area. Use squeegee to remove excess water and debris.
- Take trash to dumpster and place clean garbage bags in all receptacles. Main Kennel must take laundry garbage also.
- Put appropriate sized in relation to the dog Kuranda bed in place, replace linens if necessary, and place treats according to each dog’s diet restrictions.
- Provide an appropriate amount of fresh dray/set food daily. Use age-appropriate and special diet foods. Provide treats and toys.
- Wipe down countertops and all empty surfaces, using disinfecting solution provided, daily.
- Maintain all latches and chains on every dog kennel, making certain that each is in place at all times. Recheck all latches and chains at end of day, prior to leaving.
- Soak cleaning equipment (scoops, shovels, etc.) in fresh disinfectant solution.
- Maintain feeding board daily.
- Lock all doors at end of each day.
- Perform final walk through of kennel area at end of each day, making certain that all dogs are in place and have plenty of water. Turn off lights.
- Stock with soft/hard food, toys, treats, cleaning supplies and clean linens during designated stocking times.
- Clean all drains, removing debris, to keep water flowing freely.
- Alert a Vet Tech of any vomiting, diarrhea or ill-appearing dogs. If a vet tech is not available, notify the Kennel Supervisor.
- Keep counter tops free of clutter. Place all cleaning and grooming supplies, etc., in storage areas.
- Falconi cleaners are responsible for maintaining clean laundry in that building.
- Assist potential adopters in finding a dog/puppy that meets their needs and environment.
- Maintain clean play areas, scooping feces, disinfecting, removing trash and damaged toys. Keep clean water in place, weather permitting.
- Be knowledgeable regarding promotions and able to explain to customers.
- Be knowledgeable of the dogs/puppies available for adoption, including but not limited to special needs, diets, etc.
- Report any concerns with potential adopter to the Kennel Supervisor or Manager of Shelter Operations, for assistance.
- Complete final walk through prior to end of shift with Kennel Supervisor to ensure the kennels are secure along with the safety and welfare of the animals.
- MinimumHigh School diploma or GED required.
- Ability to diplomatically interact with diverse people.
- Must be organized.
- Ability to lift (50) lbs required.